Thursday, June 21, 2018

Introducing the 2018 Field Team: Alexis High

Alexis High, general handyperson.

Howdy! My name is Alexis High and I am a Junior Wildlife and Fisheries major from Georgetown, Texas. I am super excited to be part of this amazing experience here in Costa Rica working with Brie on her research with Olive Ridley sea turtles. 

Alexis (left) with her sister, Shawna and her brother Travis.
I am trading in my experience of working with creatures with four legs at the Premier Animal Hospital and Pet Resort for creatures with four flippers here in Costa Rica. I have always had a desire for learning and exploring the unknown, so when I heard about this opportunity I knew it was something I had to do.
Alexis posing with Reveille herself, Texas A&M's mascot and highest ranking member of the Corps of Cadets.
From this experience I wish to build strong connections among my peers and advisors in the field I wish to pursue in the future. Also, I wish to gain experience in different scientific techniques such as using an ultrasound and processing blood samples. Then, hopefully, I will continue with Brie and help her in the fall semester analyzing the information we received in the field to generate conclusions for her research. Along with gaining experience in techniques, this is also a fantastic experience to witness how scientific research is done firsthand to give me a solid foundation for my future.

Alexis, restraining an Olive Ridley sea turtle while her markings dry.

After I graduate my undergrad, I wish to continue my education at Texas A&M in the school of veterinary medicine. With my doctorate in veterinary medicine, I wish to either go into research or become an exotic veterinarian, either working at a private practice or at a zoo. The future is scary and undefined but with this amazing experience in working with Brie I can know for certain that working with animals is what I am meant to do.


Alexis with her characteristic "Gig 'Em" and a gorgeous moth she gently captured in Costa Rica.
Alexis has brought an enthusiastic and sunny attitude to our work and we are grateful to have them. Thanks, Alexis and Gig 'Em Ags!

Matti (see future blog, left) and Alexis processing blood after boat work.


No comments:

Post a Comment