Saturday, August 11, 2018

Introducing the 2018 Field Team: Steve Elliott


Howdy all,
I'm happy to introduce the last (but certainly not least!) member of our field team for this summer, Steve Elliott. Steve brings a new skillset to the team as a former carpenter from Northern Ireland. He has now shown his work ethic through the arribada and I am excited to have him to assist with solitary nesting and the September arribada in a few weeks. Welcome, Steve!

Steve and his beloved snake, Jake. One of many pets he owns! 

My name is Steve Elliott and I've just graduated from Ulster University in Northern Ireland with a Bachelor's degree in Marine Science. I have always been fascinated by the ocean and all kinds of wildlife. I love swimming and love scuba diving even more. I’m a qualified ocean diver and I’m currently working towards achieving my sports diver with BSAC.
Photographic proof that Steve has always loved the water.


In 2016/2017 during my work placement year at university I got the opportunity to go out on a research vessel to carry out multibeam surveys on WWI shipwrecks. During this research trip I also got the opportunity to collect grab samples from around the shipwrecks which I analysed for my final year project to figure out if the wrecks had an impact on the benthic community structure.
A map showing where Steve worked collecting samples from WWI shipwrecks.


Brie’s project has really interested me and I’m so excited to work with her and gain hands on experience with the Olive Ridley Turtles. I’ve only been in Costa Rica a few days and I’ve already seen so much. This is such an amazing opportunity and I look forward to seeing a lot more in the days to come. After this when I leave Costa Rica I intend to pursue my love for the ocean and hopefully obtain a masters in Marine biology.  


Steve and Tara enjoying one of Ostional's beautiful sunsets.


No comments:

Post a Comment